Want to help your staff drive home safely for Christmas?
If your staff are planning on driving somewhere for Christmas this year, either in their company car or their own,
there are a few things you can do to help them get there and back (to the office!) safely….
Before your employees set off ask them to use this checklist to prepare their vehicle for the Christmas journery…
- Check the following:
- windscreen wash levels
- tyre pressure (check when tyres are cold and increase pressure for heavy loads if necessary) and tread depth – not forgetting the spare
- ice scraper
- fill up with fuel or fully charge your Electric Vehicle or hybrid
- if you’ve got an Electric Vehicle, find your charging stations on your route here – you’ll need to register an account first so don’t leave it til the last minute
- Plan your route in advance and allow plenty of time for the journey
Plan your route here…
..or calculate the distance you’ll be travelling by entering your start and end postcodes here…
- Check online local traffic and weather reports here or call AA Roadwatch by dialling 84322 (‘the AA’ on your mobile keypad) or 0906 88 84322 from your landline
- Plan to travel when the roads are quieter – Friday 22nd is set to be the busiest travelling day, followed by Saturday 23rd
- Charge up your mobile phone
- Make sure anyone who suffers from travel sickness takes medication 1 or 2 hours before you set off
For the journey
- Even if you have sat nav pack an atlas as well, as a backup
- Pack the car as safely as you can so as not to obstruct vision
- Take a flask of a hot drink with you, and If tired, stop and drink one or two cups
- If you’re driving children take along music, stories and games in case of bad traffic
- If your route is traffic-clogged, find an alternative…using Google Maps
- Carry emergency essentials in case of a delay or breakdown, including
1. shovel 2. spare warm/ waterproof layers 3. spare food and water 4. torch 6. in-car mobile phone charger 7. don't forget asthma or other personal medication for the festive period
And ask your staff to plan their journeys back home too – the roads will be busiest on New Year’s day, Monday 1st January 2018
- and most people go back to work on Tuesday 2nd – consider offering staff a working from home day on Tuesday 2nd so they can drive back later when the traffic is much quieter – and you’ll start the year off with happy employees! Happy New Year!!!
On the 23rd September in NY the As global climate strike week draws to a close, we at Green Element reflect on how we feel it went. 'I’m out of the office… Just took a long lunch break to prevent mass starvation'. To kick off the week on the 20th September Green...
Why have we decided to launch an online training course for Environmental Management Systems (EMS)? Supporting our clients with EMS implementation is our bread and butter here at Green Element. We have implemented well over 50 for our clients in the past 3 years,...
"What we do now, and in the next few years, will profoundly affect the next few thousand years" David Attenborough We at Green Element are looking forward to joining millions around the world on Friday 20th of September for the Global Climate Strike to continue the...