Green Element are hiring..
Will Richardson 09 March 2018
We are a small company with some big clients. We help companies reduce their environmental impact, for the most part by achieving their ISO 14001 environmental quality management standard. However, we do much more besides, and provide a comprehensive sustainability consultancy service.
Green Element is a very flexible and easy going employer that nevertheless works hard for our clients. The right candidate will get a thorough grounding in all aspects of the green sector, and the opportunity to work on varied and interesting projects to develop your skills and experience. We are a certified BCorp and provide the opportunity of working for a charity of your choice one day per calendar month.
We are looking for a London based, junior sustainability consultant. You will regularly be on clients’ sites (predominantly London-based, some nationwide, so travel and occasional overnight stays possible), carrying out waste and energy audits, working with green teams, and making recommendations for improvements. You will be working closely with the senior consultant, sometimes together on site, sometimes working independently on site or at home collaboratively on Skype. You will be researching, reviewing materials and reports, and providing analysis for ad hoc requests and blogs. Key aspects of the role:
- Implement, maintain and manage ISO 14001 Management Systems. (Knowledge of the new standard ISO14001 standard would be beneficial)
- Work with clients to reduce their environmental impacts and improve the efficiency of the buildings.
- Carry out internal audits, compliance audits and site audits.
- Review all relevant legal documentation to ensure compliance at all sites.
- Educate key client staff on environmental legislative requirements.
- Assist in completing tender submissions.
- Support and advise on implementing environmental strategies, providing analysis, ideas, support and direction relating to green initiatives.
- Provide advice to clients on environmental queries as requested
You should have strong communication skills, the ability to listen, an attention to detail, and the willingness to learn. You must be comfortable with working independently from client sites, as well as from home, so you should be good at managing your time to fit around clients as well as your own needs.
The job requires that you have excellent analytical abilities, and the ability to work with confidence with data sets and manipulate and present data in Excel.
The ability to express and discuss complex issues by e-mail, skype and over the phone is essential. The role would suit a graduate with a year or more experience.
Salary range £21,000 – £27,000. Dependant on Experience. Start date: Not Known.
- Tenacity and pragmatism in overcoming data-gathering and communication hurdles
- A commitment to sustainability policy and action and to the importance of climate change and environmental responsibility
- Desire / need to work from home or remotely and the discipline and experience required to do this
- Excellent report-writing and PowerPoint skills; good command of language and the ability to convey information concisely
- Technically proficient with Windows-based applications and technology. Able to troubleshoot basic computer problems or source the help to do so
- Ability to work alone, to pick up systems and processes quickly from working systems, reports, databases and reports and to reproduce / improve on these, whilst confident to ask for help and pick up the phone when needed
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients, and to listen to a diverse range of people in a way that can be translated into actions tailored to the differing requirements of each stakeholder
- Good project management and organisational skills.
- A desire to work for a small, intimate, friendly and enthusiastic organisation
- Knowledge and experience of building management services and the fabric of a building.
- Familiarity with collection and analysis of half hourly electricity data
- Understanding of benchmarking and target-setting for a range of sustainability metrics
- Familiarity with greenhouse gas emissions calculations and reporting
- Excel skills
Do you know of anyone who would be interested in working for a truly environmental management consultancy and who believe in putting the client and environment first? If this sounds like you or someone you know that can be based in the London area, then please ask them to complete the following:
- Please could you email your CV with a covering letter explaining why you want to work at this kind of consultancy to [email protected]
- Please put reference “GEJOB0012a” in the subject line.
- Please state where you heard about the job.
Recent Blog Posts
“I feel I'm in a very privileged position armed with more knowledge than the average person. But I do feel it is like a poisoned chalice..” Anyone who runs a small business knows how lonely and isolating it can be. It is the life you choose to support a lifestyle....
Why do diesel engines have a bad name? While diesel engines are meant to be more efficient than petrol engines, diesel cars have received a tremendous amount of bad press. They are said to release toxic gases such as noxious pollutants which are linked to premature...
"The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) has come on by leaps and bounds since Green Element’s initial site audit in July. In just six months the charity has changed all their lights to energy efficient LEDs, removed under desk bins and introduced centralised recycling...