ESOS Update – May 2015
For the most recent up-to-date information on dates now:
A summary of the ESOS programme is given below:
ESOS is a compulsory programme of regular energy audits for ‘large enterprises’ that must be undertaken by December 5 2015 under the UK Government’s compliance with the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012.
Those required to participate will be all enterprises with either
- at least 250 employees,
- annual turnover of at least €50 million (£38,937,777 million) and annual balance sheet total of at least €43 million (£33,486,489 million)
You must choose one of these routes to compliance that cover all your areas of significant energy consumption:
- ISO 50001 certification for all of the organisation’s energy use,
- ESOS-compliant energy audits together with
- Display Energy Certificates (DECs) and accompanying advisory reports for any buildings covered by a DEC
- Green Deal Assessments (GDAs) for any buildings included in the GDA
- ISO 50001 for any buildings covered by the certification
- Energy data expressed as energy intensity ratios for all buildings not covered by ISO 50001, a GDA or a DEC.
If you choose to comply with ESOS using any existing certification or assessments, (ISO 50001, DEC or GDA) they must have been issued during the compliance period and be valid at the compliance date – 5 December 2015 for the first compliance period.
If you do not have ISO 50001 for the entire organisation, then to comply with ESOS via an ESOS-compliant energy audit, you must
- gather the necessary data – organisational energy intensity ratio (e.g. kWh/employee FTE) and the variation in energy use over time within key buildings and operations for any buildings not covered by a GDA, ISO 50001 or a DEC
- undertake the assessment,
- achieve a successful audit by an ESOS assessor, and
- maintain records of how your areas of significant energy consumption are covered by your compliance routes in an ‘evidence pack’
- our ISO 14001 clients can have William Richardson conduct their ESOS-compliant audit, and already include energy intensity ratios within their EMS
- those clients with current Display Energy Certificates in each building are ESOS-compliant
- Green Element clients need to
- Have Green Element as a lead assessor to conduct an audit and sign off the assessment
- Supply organisational information in the form of a questionnaire
- Have Green Element produce energy-saving recommendations for each premises included in the ESOS assessment
- Nominate a board director to sign off the recommended activities
- Have Green Element produce an evidence pack
- Have Green Element notify the EA of their route(s) to compliance.
please contact Green Element or check back for more updates here if you have any queries.
On the 23rd September in NY the As global climate strike week draws to a close, we at Green Element reflect on how we feel it went. 'I’m out of the office… Just took a long lunch break to prevent mass starvation'. To kick off the week on the 20th September Green...
Why have we decided to launch an online training course for Environmental Management Systems (EMS)? Supporting our clients with EMS implementation is our bread and butter here at Green Element. We have implemented well over 50 for our clients in the past 3 years,...
"What we do now, and in the next few years, will profoundly affect the next few thousand years" David Attenborough We at Green Element are looking forward to joining millions around the world on Friday 20th of September for the Global Climate Strike to continue the...