This regulatory change means that those businesses with meter profile classes 05, 06, 07 or 08 need to upgrade to half-hourly settled electricity.
From 5 November 2015, those businesses with meters in profile classes 05-08 who already have accredited, automated half-hourly meters installed on site will be migrated to half-hourly settlement within 45 days of contract renewal.
By 1st April 2017, those businesses without AMRs already installed will need to have made the move over to half-hourly settled meters.
The benefits will be better data quality and the ability to analyse and reduce your energy use. This will come at a price, however, and it’s important to get the best deal from your suppliers and agents .
Here’s a step by step guide to what to do, and if you’d like help with any of this process please do give us a ring on 020 70960054
1. Find out if you have any 05-08 profile class meters. You can do this by checking the first two digits of the top line of your MPANs, which are numbers at the foot of your bills, beginning with an S:
2. Find out if you already have an Automated Meter Reader (AMR) on these meters by ringing your supplier - or by checking the meter itself if you know how.
3. Find out when your electricity supplier contracts are up for renewal. If you have the contract it will have an end date – if you don’t have the contract to hand, ring your supplier and ask for a copy and to confirm with you the contract end date.
4. If you do have AMRs on all of your 05-08 meters you will need to migrate to half-hourly settlement at the earliest of
i. Your contract renewal date ii. 1st April 2017
Your meter will be reconfigured remotely and no site visit or change to your meter will be necessary.
5. Shop around for a Meter Operator (MOP) and a Data Collection / Data Aggregation (DA/DC) provider. You may already have contracts in place, in which case it’s important to check the contracts and ensure the agents are accredited to operate on the half-hourly market.
If you default to your energy supplier’s choice of these you may not get the best provision, and it’s important for a signed contract to be in place, otherwise you won’t receive your half-hourly data.
*6. If you do not have AMRs on all of your 05-08 profiles your meters cannot be reprogrammed and will be exchanged. This must be done by 1st April 2017. There should be no extra charge for this.
*7. Shop around for your new half-hourly settled contract. Your new contract will incur extra charges itemised on your bills as DUoS (Distribution Use of Service) and TNUoS (Transmission Network Use of Service).
Would you like to know more? You can book a quick call with us at a convenient time that suits you; Will Richardsons’ Appointment Diary.
Sign up to Green Element Monthly to keep up to date with new legislation and developments in the environmental sector.
What's electricity, where does it come from, how does it work and how do we get hold of it?
Green Element delivered precisely what they said they would. In the first year after working with Will and Green Element, we saved 600 kg of carbon emissions per employee. We also achieved an annual saving of £250,000 in that first year as well as attaini